The Administrator of Intramuros is the head of the Intramuros Administration (IA). The Administrator is responsible for directing the orderly restoration and development of Intramuros as a monument to the Hispanic period of Philippine history. The position has the same qualifications, privileges, and rank of an Undersecretary and the office holder is appointed by the President of the Republic of the Philippines.
As head of agency, the Administrator is assisted by six divisions, namely: the Finance and Administrative Division, the Planning and Management Division, the Urban Planning and Community Development Division, the Business Management Division, the Cultural Properties Conservation Division, and the Tourism Promotions Division.
The Hon. Joan M. Padilla
11th Administrator of Intramuros
17 January 2023 to Present
Previous Administrators of Intramuros
The Hon. Guiller B. Asido
10th Administrator of Intramuros, 23 March 2017 to 30 June 2022
- Completion of reforms amending the Implementing Rules and Regulations of PD 1616 (2022);
- Completion of the Museo de Intramuros (Casa Mision) (2017);
- Rehabilitation of Fort Santiago (2017).
The Hon. Marco Antonio Luisito V. Sardillo III
9th Administrator of Intramuros, 05 August 2013 to 30 June 2016
- Partial reconstruction of the San Ignacio Church (2015).
The Hon. Jose A. Capistrano, Jr.
8th Administrator of Intramuros, 27 August 2010 to 05 August 2013
- Reconstruction of the Maestranza (2011).
The Hon. Anna Maria Ll. Harper
7th Administrator of Intramuros, 17 March 2008 to 8 July 2010
- Hosted the Intramuros Galleon Conference (2009).
The Hon. Dominador C. Ferrer, Jr.
6th Administrator of Intramuros, 12 August 1998 to 13 August 2007
- Establishment of the Intramuros Consortium (2001);
- Rehabilitation of Plaza Santo Tomas (2000);
- Rehabilitation of Plaza España (2001).
The Hon. Carlo Q. Butiong
5th Administrator of Intramuros, 15 February 1996 to 17 February 1997
The Hon. Edda V. Henson
4th Administrator of Intramuros, April 1990 to October 1995
- Establishment of the Intramuros Visitors Center (1993);
- Construction of Cantinas de Aduana (1993);
- Rehabilitation of Plaza Moriones and Fort Santiago (1993);
- Creation of the PROS Intramuros Urban Development Plan (1993).
The Hon. Jose A. Capistrano, Jr.
3rd Administrator of Intramuros, 01 August 1989 to 19 April 1990
- Establishment of the IA Fr. Luis Merino Library (1989).
The Hon. Eustacio B. Orobia
2nd Administrator of Intramuros, 14 November 1986 to 31 July 1989
- Establishment of the Gaceta de Intramuros (1988).
The Hon. Jaime C. Laya, Ph.D.
Action Officer (1st Administrator of Intramuros), 10 April 1979 to 16 April 1986
- Establishment of the Intramuros Administration (1979);
- Promulgation of the first Implementing Rules and Regulations of PD 1616 (1981);
- Completion of Casa Manila, Casa Los Hidalgos, and Casa El Hogar (1981);
- Reconstruction of Fort Santiago gate (1982);
- Reconstruction of the fortifications of Intramuros (1979 to 1986);
- Restoration and rehabilitation of the historic plazas of Intramuros (1979 to 1986);
- Establishment of the Grand Marian Procession (1981).
About the Intramuros Administration
Mandate. The Intramuros Administration (IA) is a National Government Agency attached to the Department of Tourism. Under Presidential Decree No. 1616, the IA is responsible for the orderly restoration and development of Intramuros as a monument to the Hispanic period of Philippine history. As such, it shall ensure that the general appearance of Intramuros shall conform to Philippine-Spanish architecture of the sixteenth to the nineteenth century.
Vision. IA envisions Intramuros as a model urban site of national historical and cultural heritage, sustaining people and life systems within, and contributing to national cultural and socio-economic progress.
Mission. The mission of IA is to protect and conserve the historical and cultural value and significance of Intramuros while advancing and guiding urban development within, and contributing to the strengthening of the Filipino’s national identity and sense of belonging and pride.