Baluarte de San Andres named after St. Andrew, the patron of Manila, was also known as Baluarte de San Nicolas due to its proximity to San Nicolas de Tolentino Church (lot now occupied by the Manila Bulletin), the mother church of the Augustinian Recollects. It was built in 1603 to defend the original Puerta Real (present-day Gen. Luna gap) and defend the southeastern side of the walled city from land invasion.
In 1733, Baluarte de San Andres was renovated with the addition of a bombproof powder magazine and a garita (sentry box or turret), and later, a dock for boats travelling through the moat. However, it was destroyed during the British invasion and rebuilt only after the occupation. It was destroyed once again in 1945 and restored by the Intramuros Administration in 1987.
For comments or questions contact us: [email protected]