In an effort to welcome more tourists and the general public to the Walled City, Puerta del Parian and Puerta de Sta. Lucia were re-opened this month. For a number of years, the two gates were closed for security reasons. However, with the provision of additional security in the area, the public may now enter and exit the Walled City through these historical gates.

The Puerta del Parian was built in 1593 and was named after Parian de Arroceros across the city where Chinese merchants lived. Parian, or “marketplace” is a witness to a number of massacres of the Chinese who were persecuted by the Spaniards during that time. Puerta de Sta. Lucia, on the other hand, was built in 1603 and was one of the original entrances to the Walled City. Puerta del Parian and Puerta de Sta. Lucia are open daily from 08:00 to 17:00. — Jeffrey Yap

Puerta de Santa Lucia

Puerta del Parian